Womens large size clothing is getting easier to find as designers, pattern makers and women’s clothing manufacturers are waking up to the fact that many women are “plus size”. In 1996, Suzan Nedfeldt stated, “At least 35 million women in the United States--one in three--wear a size 14 or over.” No doubt that number has increased over the years.
But these days, it doesn’t matter if you live in New York where there are greater opportunities to shop for plus size clothes or you’re an ample sized woman who lives in rural America...here are your answers to where to find just about any type of womens large size clothing.
Anne Klein (up to size 16)
Baby Phat (up to 3x)
Jones of New York
Vera Wang (wedding gowns)
Lord & Taylor
Saks Fifth Avenue
Before you head out to the department store to find the perfect piece(s). Here are a few pointers from Susan Nanfeldt, author of Plus Style (fyi...even though it addresses womens large size clothing, this is a fantastic book for women of every size who want to learn to how to best dress their body):
* Shop with a plan: know what type of item you want and your price range (but always buy the best quality you can afford). If you haven’t got a plan, read Chapter 12 of Nanfeldt’s book.
* Shop only when rested and prepared--keep you cool under pressure. Drink lots of water. It keeps you awake and refreshed.
* Only buy things that you love and that are absolutely perfect for your needs.
* Shop alone and use the salespeople efficiently.
* Think outfit, not garment.
* No punishments! Agree to not criticize yourself for the day. Avoid making faces, real or imagined, at yourself in the mirror, or thinking about how much you dislike certain body parts, etc. Suspend self-negativity for just one day.
August Max Woman
Dress Barn Woman
Fashion Bug Plus
Eloquii.com by The Limited
Igigi.com (designer clothes sizes 12-32)
We’d love to hear from you...
Know of any great designers or stylists missing from our list...
want to let everyone know where you shop for what...
where you find the best deals...
show us some of your favorite outfits from your favorite shops...
have some places to avoid shopping...
If so, we invite you to share them?